Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hot days...finally!

We've had a pretty yucky spring around here, to say the least. Even our few nice days have been chilly - but this week made up for it in full effect. Normally I would be welcoming a few 90-degree days, but being seriously 39 weeks pregnant makes it a little harder to appreciate! Here's how the end of our week went. Wednesday my OB doc mercifully offered to induce me on Friday. I didn't kiss him, but I thought about it. Then I decided it might be a little awkward. Then they called back and said it would have to be Saturday. No problem. Thursday afternoon we decided to play a little hooky and head out to Pacific City - we figured we probably wouldn't get back out there for a while and it was HOT in town. We had a beautiful afternoon - 80 and sunny, light wind. Except for that we had to come home. Where we realized two things. One, even though I had put sunscreen on, my shins and knees had gotten a wicked sunburn in about 2 hours. LOVE pregnancy. Two - our air conditioning was not working. The thermostat in our house said 80. Yes, 80.
Not. Acceptable.
The forecast for Friday was 100 degrees.
Also. not. acceptable.
I spent Thursday evening laying on my bed with the fan going, wet towels on my legs, and a really bad attitude. (Which, in my mind, seemed perfectly logical and reasonable!) Luckily, God took pity and sent a wonderful air-conditioner fixing man out at 8:30 a.m. friday morning, and by 10 my AC was running and my house was cooling down. Again, I thought about kissing him, but didn't. He was a little dirty.

Anyhow, that led to us being able to take advantage of the weather and invite the Brewer boys over to play on our new "racing" slip & slide. It's amazing how much entertainment a $14 piece of plastic can provide. They had so much fun, while Amy and I got to sit in the shade and drink iced tea. Those are the kind of 90 degree days I like.





We had a great dinner with my parents Friday night, and left the kids there to spend the night as we assumed we would be going to the hospital at 6 a.m. the next morning. Ha. This is where the weeked o'waiting begins. When we called at 5, they said they were full. Like, full to bursting, no bed for me. Call back at noon. Guess what? Still no room. So, after spending a long, hot day at the baseball field and being forced into wearing maternity shorts in public, we left the kids at my parents again, went and saw the new Narnia movie, and headed home to get some sleep before our (hopefully) early morning today. Guess what. No such luck. Still full, and someone called in sick. Apparently before they will bring you in to induce you they want to make sure you have a nurse. And a bed. But call back at noon -we're pretty sure you'll be coming in then. At this point I paged my doctor, and he reassured me that it looked really good for this afternoon, and barring anything major he'd see me at the hospital. Really? Don't count your chickens. When I called at noon, they told me that UNFORTUNATELY they'd just had an emergency c-section come thru the door. Could I call back tomorrow morning at 5 a.m.?

Apparently 90-100 degree weather and a full moon make for a very, very busy birthing center. So, I'm just trying to remember that everything happens for a reason, and that God does have a plan, and that a person cannot physically stay pregnant forever. Also, that you just don't want to make the nurses mad, so you have to suck it up. :) We'll keep everyone posted if we ever do have this baby. In fact, maybe we'll call you. At 5 a.m. :)

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online