Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fun with nature.

Our robins are having babies.

I feel so proud. Like we did something. I mean, we did have some babies too, but not hatched. From eggs. Beautiful eggs. So blue. So.....robin's egg blue. I get that now. Anyhow.

Mmm'kay. So remember down below, the nests? Well, they ended up only occupying one (as far as we can tell). For a minute, I thought maybe we were going to have the first ever polygamist sect of birds on our deck. But from my viewpoint, this is a one-on-one relationship.

Previous post was June 5. First day of noticeable nest-making. Here's June 7....




Then, a few days later, we noticed mama bird sitting on the nest. Alot. So, when she flew away, I climbed up on a ladder, stuck my camera up as far as I could, and started taking pictures. I couldn't get my head up there to see, so each time I had to stop, look, all while mama robin did an unhappy dance from the fence about three feet away. Papa robin was not far off, and they were chirping back and forth. Nature lovers, do not worry - I touched nothing. Here's what I saw....
June 13...Two!
Hold on....Three!
Papa keeping watch...
Mama has had enough. She's chasing me off!

I've taken a quick picture each day since, and each day they seem a bit less worried. We can't wait to see those babies! Hopefully in the next few weeks.....
June 15
June 16...can you believe how intricate that nest is? amazing...

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online