Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Project (Baby) Runway.

I did my first remodel. No, not to the house. To a baby dress. And quite frankly, I'm pretty excited about it. I shall explain, because obviously, you're dying to know more.


I found this dress at a resale store in So Cal last time we were down. It's super soft cotton from some european brand. At $3.99, I figured I couldn't go wrong, plus I love love love the preppy, Lilly Pullitzer pink and green.

Well, guess what. You can totally go wrong. When I put it on her, the collar looked like one of those things a dog gets at the vet, and one of the sleeve cuffs was so tight I literally could not get it on her arm. Which is tiny.

So I remodeled it. I cut the sleeves. I ripped off the collar.



And then I wasn't sure quite what to do. But I had a secret weapon. I'm probably the last crafty person in the world to discover it, but I'm completely obsessed with elastic thread. You wind it (by hand!) onto your bobbin, and use regular thread on top. I hemmed the neckline, then used a single stitchline with elastic thread. I left the sleeves raw and just stitched around each one with the elastic as well. Do you have any idea how hard it is to stitch around a tiny baby sleeve? I do.




A quick steam iron when you're finished and VOILA! instant cuteness.



You can save your applause for the model. She's pretty darn cute herself.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I've not been brave enough to attempt to alter anything yet. I'm still working on sewing in straight lines.

Bill Wertz said...

Hey I've got a couple shirts you can work on. A cute little ruffles around the sleeves might just be the thing.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online