Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Projects...

So, mama finally broke down and bought a new sewing machine. This is a big deal, considering that I really do LOVE my old one. And when I say old, I mean like 1970's old. This is a sewing machine that Shawn's mom saved before either of her boys had wives or even had girlfriends (!) because it has all metal parts, and all the newer ones are plastic. The thing is like an old ford truck or something - all steel parts and heavy duty construction, and I LOVE it. And it's FAST. But. It hasn't been loving me lately. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. And, sadly, it doesn't have any fancy stitches or automatic buttonholers or silly, shallow things like that. So, I broke down and bought a new Singer. It's okay, but I think I might be doing something wrong. I think the machine might be smarter than me. It doesn't stop. Like, I take my foot off the pedal and it just keeps sewing. And sewing. I'm sure it's me, but it's a little discombobulating.

Anyhow, I've been playing around with some little projects from my new favorite sewing book, "Bend-the-Rules Sewing" by Amy Karol Check out her blog in my sidebar - great projects, pretty much instant gratification, and instructions that are written for NORMAL PEOPLE to understand. I swear some patterns are written for space creatures or people who have come to english as a second language.

I made this set of bibs for a friend's baby shower - they weren't sure what they were having.



I've never used a snap setter before, but I think it's one of my new favorite tools. It's just a hammer and little metal dowel thingy. Don't be surprised if you start seeing my kids in lots of "snappy" things! I also started a really fun, crazy little lap quilt for Chloe. Everything I've heard says that I need something to do with my hands during her surgery, and hand-sewing binding on a quilt is one of those things I don't usually have time to do lately. So I'm putting toghther everything else on this quilt and then I'll bind it while we're at the hospital. I love that this quilt is SO SUPER PINK! It's so girly - we're calling it the "rainbow sherbet" quilt because that's what the colors remind me of. I'll post pics when it's all finished@




1 comment:

Kristen said...

OK..I'll give it to you..YOU ARE THE DOMESTIC DIVA!!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online