Monday, January 26, 2009

...Our children are exploding...

There is a reason why there are no photos accompanying this post. The content is such that photographs simply were not appropriate, seeing as how this is a family blog and all!

Folks, we thought we were having a simple, fun Saturday. We slept in, we lazed around the house. We worked on projects, we took the kids to get meatball sandwiches (per their request). A friend called, and said he was taking his kids to ice-cream. So we went to ice-cream. We came home. And then it started. The Saturday evening from...well...you know where. Shawn comes down with a migraine, and is laying on the couch wrapped in a blanket all the way over his face. Chloe is screaming, the kids are crying because they're hungry. I dump Chloe in the bouncy seat, throw some quesadillas in a pan, get everybody fed. By 7:30, it's bath time. I don't know if I've written about our simultaneous bathing technique, but it is my survival method when Shawn's gone. All my kids love the water, so it usually buys me 15 minutes of peace. Aidan goes in the big soaking tub in my bathroom, Chloe's baby bath sits next to the bath, and Jackson showers in our big shower. That way, they're all contained, happy and in one place. Plus they smell nice.

In the midst of simultaneous bathing, I turn my back on Chloe (who sits up perfectly in the bath by herself) for all of about 30 seconds to help Aidan. I know, I know. Not supposed to take my eyes off her. But. Suddenly, she starts to cry. I turn back around, and for a minute I don't really understand what I'm seeing. Her bath water is....murky. And then the smell hits me. OOoooooohhhh. "SHHAAAWWWWWN!" He walks in to Aidan screaming "Chloe poooed! EEEEWWWW!" After a 30 minute clean-up process, which involved both Chloe and Shawn in the shower, bleach, and hosing out the baby bathtub in the backyard, we finally had everyone clean and in their PJ's. Wow. The joy of parenting.

By 10, Shawn and I had settled down on the couch to watch a movie. Whew! Deep breath. But, alas, our night was not over. About 45 minutes later, a sleepy Jackson comes walking in. "Dad, I threw up." And boy, did he ever.

Never, in all my life, have I seen anything like what awaited us on his top bunk. Remember all the food related things we did that day? Let me just say this - in order to preserve my washing machine, which I consider a good and loyal friend - once again, at 11:30 at night I was outside, in the freezing cold, hosing off the bedding. And the stuffed animals. THANK GOD my washing machine has a setting called SANITIZE. Because otherwise, a big pile of bedding would have gone in the trash.

By about 1 a.m. when we fell into bed, we just had to laugh. Shawn looked at me, and said "Why are our children exploding?" We couldn't stop lauging.

It reminded me of something from the Indigo Girls - "You have to laugh at yourself, because you'd cry your eyes out if you didn't."

Nobody ever said parenting was a walk in the park. But we just wish there could be a little less bodily fluid involved!

1 comment:

Valonda L. said...

Oh my goodness. I have been there. It's a good thing every day isn't like that.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online