Friday, January 23, 2009

10 Reasons why I love this moment, right now.



I've been putting off posting an update on here because...well, mostly because I am a perfectionist, and a first-born, and if I can't do things EXACTLY how I picture them in my mind, they why do them at all? I felt I had to catch up - on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years...basically 3 months worth of mostly boring details and gobs of photos of my children. All of which I'm sure you've been dying to see. Most of you have been crying yourselves to sleep at night wondering what my kiddos looked like in their Christmas jammies. I know it.

But today, I threw off the chains of my own expectations and did a skinny dip cannon ball into the lake. In my mind, that is. Not in real life. Jeeze, people, it's January in the Pacific Northwest. So I'm picking up from this day, this moment right now. And what follows are 10 reasons why I'm totally in love with this moment.

1. Two of my children are asleep. In their own beds. The third one is playing quietly and contentedly in the playroom.

2. The trim on my house is right this minute being painted a lovely charcoal-ey gray color. Which I love. And which makes the slate blue color of the house actually look better than tolerable.

3. I'm sitting at my new workstation in our "nook" upstairs. This is my birthday present, and it's (almost) done, thanks to my dad and the mister spending the morning assembling swedish parts and pieces. There are clean white cabinets, drawers for bitty things, storage for fabric and yummy butcher block table/counter tops. I'm sure I will now finish all my unfinished sewing projects, and create new and exciting things of which I have yet to think.



Of course, what would a project be without a second trip to the store? They shorted us the hinges for the second set of doors. Boooo to you, Ikea, even if you are fabulous most of the time. I'll show the other side (amazing sewing table!!!) when it's finished.

4. There is a latte on my lovely countertops.

5. The boys LOVE the new easel and art supplies we got for their playroom. They are churning out artwork at an alarming rate, but who am I to stifle creativity simply because we've plastered every surface of the playroom with pictures? I found the art supplies at Stubby Pencil Studio, and we looooove them. First off, they're from Portland (buy local!!!). All eco-friendly materials - pencils made from non-toxic insides and recycled cedar chips outside. Soy crayons, recycled plastic brushes, and our favorites, the rock crayons. Up next on my list are a shipment of Bare Books. These are super amazing for those kids who are learning to put their stories to paper. And at $1.75 apiece, you can't really go wrong.


This is the view from where I sit...the boy, in red, drawing an amazing bald eagle.

6. Next week, said painters will be back to do the bebe's room. It's been unfinished for far too long. I'm excited to put up all the fun things that have been in a pile on her floor for 9 months.

Um, okay, I know that's only 6 reasons, but one of the two sleeping children just awoke. So, I go. Away from me perfectionism, away.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm glad your back Sarah...love the new work space!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey said...

did you say 2 kids in their OWN beds? Good girl Chloe!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online