Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Excuse me? Who put this mercury in my Rice Krispies?

For those of you who don't know my friend Sarri, she's fabulous, you should check out her blog here. She's also a mama like me who doesn't like to put garbage into her children's mouths. Check out her post here about the dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

To give you the gist - two new studies show that it contains mercury. Mercury, people. Lest you forget, when you're pregnant they tell you not to eat too much fish - MERCURY POISONING FOR THE BABY!! But once the baby is two, please, fill him up on overly sugared cereals and condiments which are full of...what was that? MERCURY. I was intrigued (but mostly kind of pissed off) by the post on her blog, especially since I feel like I am pretty vigilant about what I buy. We do most of our basic shopping at Trader Joe's, we usually choose organic if it's reasonably priced, and we just don't buy sugary cereals and snacks.

So I decided to go through my pantry and fridge. The good news is, this is all I found that contained HFCS.



The bad news is that in the course of their lifetimes, the boys have probably ingested about 14 bottles of that BBQ sauce apiece.

As for Trader Joe's, they get an A+ in my book. Nothing that I had purchased from there contained HFCS. Plus, you can't beat the prices. Seriously.

If you want to read some great articles on this subject, plus see a list of just 55 of the name brand products that were found to contain mercury, click here, here, and here. (Table A)

Thanks, Sarri, for the heads up. It's up to us to let the industries who perpetuate these dangers know that we just won't tolerate it anymore.

On another note, while I was on my High Fructose Corn Syrup purging rampage, I was listening to Patti Griffin, and it made me happy. I forgot how great she was. Check her out here.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online