Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bonk...

So, you know how some people believe in that kharma thing? Well, you never know. I've sort of been a smartass my whole life. I know, try to contain your shock, but it's true. It's like something deep inside me can't resist....

So, when we were discharged from the hospital with Chloe, I found it rather amusing that one of the main instructions was to "avoid head injury." As though we normally went around SEEKING OUT head injuries for our children. (well, tempting sometimes but...) Needless to say, there were more than a few comments made about avoiding head injury. Well, guess what turns around to bite you in your smart-you-know-what? Kharma.

On Saturday, after Chloe woke up from her nap I was carrying her down the stairs. Someone (who shall remain nameless aidan) left a block on the stairs. Of course, I hit the block, my knees buckled, and all I remember is trying to hold on to Chloe for dear life. Shawn was right there - he grabbed her while I mopped blood off my leg from hitting the corner of one of the banisters. Chloe was screaming, but we couldn't find anywhere where she looked like she hit - we thought she was just scared. VERY scary moment.

So cut to scary moment number two. We wake up Sunday morning and her left eye (the one with all the reconstruction, of course) is totally swollen almost shut and when I touched her forehead she SCREAMED. Of course reacted calmly and rationally. Or not. I called Shawn freaking out, called the doctor's office freaking out, and got a call back from our (sleepy) neurosurgeon a few minutes later. That's right, folks, I woke the neurosurgeon out of bed, on a sunday. Like the lady isn't busy enough. Anyhow, she told us NOT to freak out (which totally did not stop me from freaking out) and to come in on monday. Thankfully, Dr. Wehby did not seem to see any cause for alarm - definitely swollen, but it looks so far like all the reconstruction is intact and there was just a lot of swelling because the area is still vulnerable and stretchy. To use the technical terms.

So. The moral of the story is this. Don't be a smartass. And try to avoid head injury.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online