Thursday, October 2, 2008

Update...Day 4

Just a quick update - Chloe is doing really well today. She is slowly weaning off the IV pain medication and onto just oral Tylenol with Coedine. She has been opening her beautiful blue eyes and turning her head at the sound of different voices. After a few throwing up instances yesterday (for ONCE on her father instead of her mother! woo hoo!) and some help getting her (ahem) bowels "moving," she's feeling much more like herself. We're still having to coax her into taking her bottles, but she's steadily improving.

On a bright note, Shawn and I have been getting a little break from the dark 4 ft. by 4 ft. corner of a shared hospital room that we're crammed into. If we didn't have awesome roomates this would be hell. Their little girl had a very similar surgery, with our same doctor, about 2 hours after Chloe. We shared the waiting room, and ICU room, and now this tiny hospital room. We've been able to compare notes, give the nurses the thumbs up or thumbs down, and generally just have some friendly faces to chat with. As great as they are, it doesn't make up for the fact that the space we have is miniscule for 2 adults, one baby crib, and 5 gazillion cords and wires and breast pumps and laptops and boppy pillows and such AND there's a shared bathroom with NO SHOWER. Repeat NO SHOWER. We were kindly informed that since our room didn't have one, we could use the locker room shower in the family lounge. I went down there - 10 people in line. Not only did I not want to wait, but I really didn't want to shower in there after all 10 of those people. Soooo.....

Shawn's work generously offered to put us up...at the Westin in downtown Portland. Um, folks, I have four words - little piece of heaven. Seriously. The bathroom is as big as our hospital room. Big king bed. Yummy down pillows. Starbucks. In the room. Oh dear lord, let me never leave the Westin. Did I mention that the shower has two shower heads? I needed that after the first 3 days without a shower. Now I'm extra clean. Shawn and I have been taking turns going there to shower, nap, sleep for a chunk of time at night - just enjoy the clean and quiet and SPACE. When we come back to little miss, we feel so refreshed and renewed. What a great gift they gave us!

If you want to see some photos of Chloe, click here. We're missing some from Monday and Tuesday - they're stuck in our camera with no cord to download. Duh. But hooray for iphone! We have a few from yesterday and today. She's looking great, but her incision is pretty intense, so I thought I'd just give you another step to get to the photos. Thanks again for all the love and support - hopefully we'll be going home tomorrow sometime!

5 comments:

Robyn said...

We're so glad things are going well and glad that you are clean! Still praying for you!
Love,
The Howards

Tracy said...

I am so glad to hear you have a place to go to get refreshed...all the better for mommy, daddy and baby! Chloe really does look amazing after all that was done (your dad explained to me in detail and I kept thinking you had to hear about those words with it being your precious babe). I am praying for you guys and am hear if you need anything when you get home...out of milk, tp, you let me know!!

Valonda L. said...

Oh, I'm so glad that Shawn's work did that for you. What a wonderful, wonderful gift!
I'm so glad that Chloe is recovering well. It's simply amazing what modern medicine can do. There have been many times already in my life that I have been very thankful to live here and now. Thank you God.

Sarri said...

Oh man. I am so glad things are going well for sweet Chloe. What a blessing to have a hotel to crash at a little too. We are still praying for you all. So glad the yuckiest stuff is behind you.

Tammy Williams said...

I saw your pictures. Chloe is looking so much like your dad. How precious and brave she is. It is so great that Shawn's work did that for you too. You have so much support!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online