Monday, October 13, 2008

Chloe, two weeks post-op

I thought I'd continue to post some updates on Chloe - at this point, she is pretty much functioning at "normal" baby speed. She's a little funky on her schedule, and she's got a runny nose, and oh yes...she NEVER SLEEPS. Seriously. But other than that, she's just like a normal, non-surgified (that is my new word, so hush) almost 5-month-old baby.

Here are some photos from today, exactly two weeks post surgery.







We had a post-op appointment on Friday in Portland, and everyone was happy with her progress. Her incision is healing really well, we were able to wash it the other day, so most of that dried gunk is coming off. We've even had to trim away some of the stitches as one end dissolves and the other is left poking out. (That was fun - but don't worry, the doc showed us how. We're practically experts.) She's a beauty. In fact, she's so pretty, I had a little mini melt-down the other night. Yes, I'm hormonal and have been a little tiny bit stressed, what with the head surgery and all, and did I mention my eyebrows falling out? Anyhow, I was holding her while she slept, and just found myself overwhelmed by how beautiful and symmetrical her brow is.



It was this really odd mix of emotions, though. On one hand, I'm thrilled that my baby girl won't have to go through life with a "wonky" forehead/eye. She's gorgeous, and symmetrical, and her eyes are beautiful. She looks like she was supposed to look. But. On the other hand, we had sort of gotten used to her little wonky eye. She had these really funny facial expressions because of it, and there was a little part of me that will miss that cute, funky, totally unique look. I know, it's weird and probably completely nuts, but hey - i yam what i yam. :)

4 comments:

Valonda L. said...

What beautiful, precious memories.
You know, I don't think you're weird missing her little features the way they were. When me niece had her first surgery to correct her cleft lip. I missed her big open smile too. It felt weird to miss something that was detrimental to her health, but we got used to her special smiles, then she was suddenly a changed little baby.
Glad to see that Chloe is healing so well. What a little sweetie.

Unknown said...

She looks so good Sarah! She is beautiful. I had my sister read your story last weekend when she was here for our party. It was so moving to read and see it all again through her eyes. I don't think you're weird either! You're entitled to any and every emotion you may have! Drink wine!

Linda

Sarri said...

What a beautiful, precious girl. I am so glad she is doing good.

Jill said...

Oh, What a beautiful little girl! I completely agreed with the previous comments, you aren't weird at all. Blessings to you and good luck with the sleeping!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online