Sunday, March 1, 2009

happy birthday.





Yesterday, my oldest turned 7. Seven. That's like, a lot of years. I certainly don't feel old enough to have a 7-year-old. Apparently I am. We were supposed to take cupcakes to school on Friday, but the flu had other ideas. Instead, we had a lazy Saturday and then Mimi & Pa came for birthday boy's choice of dinner. Which was ravioli, shrimp and scallops. I know.

We sat around looking at old pictures, including the pictures of Jackson's birth. (Well, the ones that are fit for company, anyhow!) As hard and exhausting as that day (and night) was, I realized that we birthed more than a baby that day. It was the birth-day of our family. It was the day my parents became grandparents, the day we stopped being just a couple and started being "mom" and "dad." It changed everything for us. The birth of each child is a miracle, but there's a special miracle that arrives with the first one. Now, he's tall and gangly, and when I pick him up to hug him he's like almost as long as me. But he still gives me a kiss before school every day, so I count my blessings.

Okay, I'm done. And no, that is not a tear on the laptop. That's baby drool. From the one that's still a baby. Sniff. Sniff.

Happy Birthday, sweet boy.















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT post, Sarah!! I love all the pictures leading up to today. And don't worry, I think that boy will always kiss you goodbye, like our boys do. You, my friend, are a great mom, you pull it off with such flare and honesty and you inspire other young moms, and old granny types, like ME!
Love you and happy birthday to your big boy!
Linda

Judy said...

Ah, so sweet! I remember--he was just a tiny little guy when you guys joined the neighborhood in OakRidge. You're right, how can that have been 7 years ago?! All your kids are darling. It was fun to see you last Sunday!

Tracey said...

wow time is going by so fast...please SLOW it down!

Unknown said...

My Goodness Mr. Jack,
You have already lived one of the most exciting lives I have ever heard of! God is training you for a very special future and I am praying for it every day. Love Forever ~ Nana

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online