Monday, August 3, 2009

I did manage to get a few other things in today.

Like this new skirt.

fabric is anna maria horner, good folks, small gatherings

I ripped apart an old abercrombie & fitch skirt I've had for literally like 10 years. Because, seriously, I think it's been 10 years since I went in that store. But the skirt, I've loved and loved well. It was starting to show its age, and was perhaps a bit (ahem) snug. Apparently it's been washed so many times that it shrank. Two sizes.

Anyhow.

I took it apart and traced it onto new fabric. Didn't bother to stop and make a pattern, which I'm now kicking myself for because I love it. I used an invisible zipper, which I learned about on this pattern. Of course, if you read the instructions you don't have to rip it out. Three times. But if one does read the instructions, this is SO easy to do. And it's - you guessed it - almost invisible when installed properly. Another fun and easy technique I hadn't thought of before was to just use some homemade (or storebought) binding as a waistband. It's not bulky, sits nicely, and eliminates the need for a lining or anything else. Love it!


Also. Do you sew? Do you have one of these?


Have you not told me about this for a reason? Because it is wonderful, and time-saving, and my new favorite sewing thing-a-majig. You just feed your two-inch wide strip of fabric in with a pin, attach said pin to ironing board, and presto-chango! Binding. Amazing.


What's that you say? These have been around since the stone age? Well. Thanks for telling me.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online